Misconceptions
When I first read the calender and saw that we were reading feminist literature, I groaned and rolled my eyes expecting to read the typical man bashing, bra burning type of work but boy was I wrong. The first mistake I made this week was expecting to read that type of work, but the real underlying issue is that I assumed all feminists were radical, when in reality only a small minority of women are in this category of "bra burning". Feminism is so much more than what I thought it was at first. Thanks to the Hooks piece, the Kingston piece, discussions with Mrs. Valentino, and discussion with the substitute I was able to realize that feminism is demonized thanks to the outspoken minority and that feminism's goals are realistic and should be attainable. As Bell Hooks said,"Future feminist movement will be sustained only if the needs of the masses of women are addressed." So this is a call to action and one that I believe should be worked towards.
The main thing that I really took away from this week aside from my new stance on feminism is that misconceptions are evil. As I said before, my views on feminism were skewed thanks to the minority being the loudest. I think this can apply to lots of social issues we have in this country today. Just because a small militant group (ISIS) is killing people doesn't mean that all muslims are terrorists, but because ISIS gets the most attention and the most coverage, people are swayed to believe in this. This is exactly what happened to me with feminism, I heard the radical minority because they were the loudest, but I ignored the reasonable majority because they were quiet.
This is a pretty good blog! I liked how you stated how your thoughts on feminism changed after reading Bell Hook's piece. I especially thought it was interesting when you applied your views on "misconceptions" to current events. Excellent job!
ReplyDeleteGreat post David!
ReplyDeleteI really agree with you about how people are often times classified by the voice of the minority. Feminism has slowly become a term that is wrongly associated to be completely radical. You make a good point about how misconceptions can really hurt our understanding of the true meaning of things because we are often biased by the things we hear or see. Looking forward to read your future posts.